A dear friend of mine, Michelle Phillips (who has a beauty segment on local talk shows around the country), asked me to offer some fall fashion advice to women in that 12 – 14 size range. She said, “You know, not all of us are sure what trends are right for us. We’d love to be fashionable, but we need to know what’s appropriate. Being a Trend Forecaster, can you help me out with this?”
I thought it was a great question, and I’ve decided to share my thoughts with you here. (She’s also posted them on her website: www.mindbeautyspirit.com)
1) Don’t be afraid of bright colors. The strong jewel tones and citrus brights are hot commodities this fall, and those colors do wonders to brighten up your face. (They are also easy to pair with dark pants or skirts for a sleek silhouette below the waist)
2) Dresses. The importance of the dress carries from summer on into fall this year and can offer a slenderizing physique. (Think 60’s style popularity featured on “Mad Men”) Just be careful with the pervasive wide belt. It can cut you right in two and exaggerate a wide waistline. Not all dresses look best belted (even the ones that COME with a belt!)
3) Denim. The jean jacket is back, and there are more popular jeans styles than ever (high-waisted, low-waisted, cuffed, boot-cut, boyfriend). Embrace denim, but be wary of the acid-washed, wholly variety. Always the most flattering, regardless of your size, is dark denim…. and it can be dressed up or down.
4) Jewelry. One of the easiest ways (especially on a tight budget) to update your wardrobe is with sterling silver. It’s affordable; it’s a long-lasting investment; and it’s bright and cheerful. You can layer your necklaces, or a multitude of cuff bracelets, without breaking the bank, and that trend looks great on every sized woman.
5) We’re starting to see an influx of patterns again for fall … argyle, plaid, floral, animal … and that can be scary regardless of your size. If you don’t want to be covered head to toe in leopard, choose interesting tone-on-tone “textures” instead. If you want to introduce patterns without too much commitment? Go with scarves. Tied at the neck or wrapped around the handle of a handbag, the look is chic.
6) The jacket is back! (Many of us who ditched them last year because they sat in our closet for too long are kicking ourselves.) Good news for those of us in that 12-14 size range is that they cover a multitude of sins. Look for the “boyfriend” jacket which has the longer silhouette. It covers the hips, gives us a waist and flatters the figure no matter what our shape.
Styling Your Full Potential ~ Judy